- Serves 8 - 10
Forget those old fashioned upside down cakes using tinned pineapple and glace cherries. This version uses fresh pineapple, and the coconut flavour of the cake, perfumed with orange makes this fresh and light that’s perfect any time of the day.
I love buying fresh pineapple and letting it sit out on the kitchen bench for a few days so it gets ripe and juicy. You can actually smell the aroma as you walk in the room. That’s when you know it’s at it’s best. Pineapple is so good for you, full of vitamin C, manganese (good for your joints, bones and your brain), fibre and low in fat. It’s perfect in a fruit salad, fruit kebabs and is a great addition to a smoothy (add it to kale to get the incredible goodness of kale into a sweet delicious drink). But enough with the healthy stuff, let’s make cake! —Liliana
butter, room temperature, diced
self raising flour
finely grated orange rind
fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into fine slices
- Preheat oven to 180 C (160 C fan forced).
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well to incorporate each egg.
- Add the cream and mix until smooth
- Fold through the flour, coconut and rind and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. Sprinkle the base with brown sugar and lay the pineapple evenly. Top with batter and smooth. Cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 mintes before inverting. Peel the baking paper from the top of the cake and allow to cool before serving.