Author Notes: This is a no-bake cheesecake with a surprise ingredient that adds an unexpected nutty flavor to complement the richness of the cake! This recipe has been translated and adapted from Tasty Japan. —Mimi Newman
grams chocolate cookies (oreos or trader joe's cat cookies both work)
grams toasted black sesame seeds
grams cream cheese, room temperature
milliliters heavy cream
grams granulated sugar
grams powdered gelatin
tablespoons black sesame paste
- In a food processor, pulse the cookies until fine, add the butter and egg yolk and pulse until it's the texture of wet sand. press this down into the bottom of the springform pan and then set into the fridge while you prepare the filling of the cheesecake.
- Combine water with gelatin in a small cup and whisk to combine, let it sit.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth, then add the sugar. in thirds, add the heavy cream and beat until smooth/combined.
- Microwave the gelatin for about 20-30 seconds (keep an eye on it) and when it's liquid, stir it into the cream cheese mixture and beat for a few seconds to combine.
- Transfer 1/3 volume of filling to another bowl, add black sesame paste and mix well.
- our half of the cream cheese filling into the pan, and then pour dollops of the black sesame mixture in, swirling around with a knife. Repeat and make the design on top pretty. Chill in the fridge for at least three hours.