Author Notes: The natural sweetness of this dish combines perfectly with the goat cheese. I started to make potato gratin with sweet potatoes and it's so good that I never did get to making it with regular potatoes. —Janneke Verheij
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 big carrots
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup goat milk
- 1 pound soft goats cheese
- peper and salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the oven on 200C / 390F.
- Wash the sweet potato, leave the skin on. Cut the potato in slices of 5mm and cut the carrot in slices of 3mm. The carrot needs some more time in the oven but by making the slices thinner, the cooking time will be the same. Cut the carrot diagonal so they become taller, preferably as wide as the potato slices. Put everything in an oven dish.
- Cut the garlic cloves small and add to the potato, now add the sage, pepper, salt, olive oil and toss everything together well. Arrange the potato and carrot one by one like roof tiles so you will only see the upper edge of the slices when done.
- Cover with aluminum foil and put in the over for 45 minutes.
- Mix the goat milk with 3/4 of the soft goat cheese until smooth.
- After 45 minutes, take the oven dish out of the oven, cover the potatoes with the creamy goats cheese, put the rest of the goats cheese over it in small chunks and return for another 25 minutes to the oven, uncovered. Ready when all the slices are very soft.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Gratin