If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To prepare this traditional Sicilian cake we used Sanguinello blood oranges (a type of blood oranges), which come from Eastern Sicily. This variety has a pulp lightly streaked with red due to the presence of anthocyanins. The flavour is more intense and sweeter than other varieties of oranges. —mad&delicacy
Serves 8 - 10
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams all – purpose flour
- 200 grams powdered almonds
- 1 entire medium orange
- 100 milliliters vegetable oil
- 1 packet baking powder
- 300 grams caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a food processor, process the entire orange until it is pureed (see the picture below).
- Place the sugar and yolks in a large bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy. Sift the flour with the baking powder and then add to the egg mixture a little at a time along with the powdered almonds. Continue mixing until well combined. Stir in it the orange puree until completely blended. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Then fold gently the beaten egg whites into the batter. When well mixed, drizzle the vegetable oil, mixing thoroughly. Grease and flour a cake tin and then pour the batter into it. Bake the cake for about 40 minutes. If you want to make sure your cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, without streaks of batter, then you can take the cake out of the oven. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then remove the cake from the cake tin. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice.
More Great Recipes: