If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Homemade, dark, hearty and delicious pumpernickel bread! Dough made in bread maker, then split to make two round loaves. —Dash of Amy
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (Hershey's dark)
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Place all ingredients in bread maker in order except the cornmeal; set to the dough setting. This usually takes an hour and half.
- When dough is done sprinkle work area with some cornmeal.
- Cut the dough in two equal pieces, and shape each one into a round ball while coating with cornmeal.
- Make the dough as smooth as possible, then let it sit for about 20 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
More Great Recipes:
Bread, Rolls & Muffins