If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the simplicity of these crackers, which are made with yeast, but I swear are easy-peasy (+ not at all scary)! The dough is rolled out into one piece the size of a baking sheet. The finished giant cracker is broken into randomly sized pieces that are ideal for dipping. —Erin McDowell
Food52 Review: For more on how to make crackers, see the full article. —The Editors
Makes: makes about 2 dozen randomly sized crackers
cup (103 g) finely ground cornmeal
cup (120 g) bread flour
teaspoon (1.5 g) instant yeast
teaspoon (2 g) fine sea salt
cup (170 g) warm water
tablespoon (21 g) honey
tablespoon (12 g) extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
everything seasoning, as needed
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix the cornmeal, flour, yeast, and salt to combine.
- Add the water, honey, and oil and mix for 3 minutes on low speed. Raise speed to medium and mix for 1 minute more.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the back/bottom of a 13x18 inch baking sheet lightly with olive oil.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thick – it should be about the size of the baking sheet.
- Roll the dough up onto the rolling pin (wrapping it around the pin), and gently unfurl the dough onto the back of the prepared baking sheet. Trim any excess pieces hanging over the sides away using scissors.
- Brush the surface of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle generously with everything seasoning.
- Bake until the edges of the cracker are golden brown and the center has browned slightly, 17-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before breaking into pieces as desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: