If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A recipe from my childhood that was passed down from my grandmother. —mommiecooks
Makes 24 cookies
- 3/4 cup Shortening (I subbed unsalted butter)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Molasses
- 21/4 cup Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/4 cup Sugar for dipping
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- First up, cream together your shortening/butter and brown sugar.
- Next, add in the molasses, egg, flour, baking soda, salt, and spice. Mix it up good.
- Take a small bowl and add in about a 1/4 cup of white sugar to it. Grab your dough by heaping teaspoons and roll it into a ball. Roll your ball in the white sugar, set it on your cookie sheet and smoosh it down with a fork. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Pop your cookies in the oven at 350 for 9 to 11 minutes.
- While your cookies are cooling, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Spoon the glaze over each cookie and allow it to harden.