If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
I've had this recipe forever, and it never fails. It also works with cranberries (substitute 12 0z. fresh cranberries for apples and drizzle with 3-4 T. orange juice. You can also combine 1.5 Cup fresh cranberries with the apples -- no o.j. -- and throw in some toasted walnuts, too)
I've had this recipe forever, and it never fails. It also works with cranberries (substitute 12 0z. fresh cranberries for apples and drizzle with 3-4 T. orange juice. You can also combine 1.5 Cup fresh cranberries with the apples -- no o.j. -- and throw in some toasted walnuts, too)—Sandy
Before turning on the oven
cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
good sized apples, peeled and sliced on the thin side
cup chopped nuts and raisins (optional)
After putting the sliced apples (and nuts/raisins) in the baking pan:
cup butter at room temperature (or slightly softened a few seconds in the microwave)
cup white sugar
eggs (large or extra large)
cups flour (preferably King Arthur)
teaspoons baking powder
- Before turning on the oven, put butter and brown sugar in a 6"x10" baking pan (a little larger is fine, but don't use smaller). Place in the oven and turn it to 350. Keep an eye on it as you're preparing the apples and take it out when the butter and sugar have just about melted. Spread the caramel around evenly and distribute the apples, ( and nuts/raisins if using) evenly around the whole bottom of the pan.
- Turn the oven up to 375
- Cream the white sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the eggs with a fork.
- Add 1 cup of the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well (with the same fork, if you'd like).
- Mix in the milk, then add the last 1/2 cup of flour and mix well.
- Pour over the apple mixture in the pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick or small knife inserted comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool for 30 minutes (caramel will be HOT) or refrigerate overnight.
- Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a dish so that the apples are on top. Delicious as is or serve with whipped cream or ice cream. (On Sunday I had a piece of this cake that I had baked on Thursday evening. It was still moist and absolutely fabulous.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake