If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an adaptation of an old favorite: Maialino's Olive Oil Cake. The original includes Grand Marnier, orange juice, and orange zest. This version opts for limoncello, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lots of poppy seeds. If you can't find limoncello, you can substitute lemon juice, but the flavor won't be as punchy. Top with a lemony glaze or powdered sugar or nothing at all. Maybe serve with whipped cream or crème fraîche. Or, the morning after, toast a slice and smear with butter. —Emma Laperruque
Makes: 1 bundt cake
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
tablespoon unsalted butter, soft, for the pan
cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
5 lemons, zested
tablespoons poppy seeds
teaspoons kosher salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cups extra-virgin olive oil
cups whole milk
cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Generously butter a Bundt pan (we used a 10-cup capacity). Add a scoop of flour and tap around the pan to distribute, then shake out any excess.
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a bowl. Pinch together with your fingertips until the sugar starts to blush yellow and is super fragrant. (This releases the oils and amps up the flavor.) Add the flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk until smooth. In another bowl, combine the olive oil, milk, eggs, lemon juice, and limoncello. Whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour, until a thin serrated knife inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is bouncy to the touch.
- Wait until the pan is cool enough to pick up without burning yourself, then flip onto a plate or cake stand. Let cool completely—at least a few hours—before glazing or powdered sugaring.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!