Author Notes: A very simple, but very good and rich dessert. Can be made with either bananas or plantains (if plantains, they should be very ripe; if bananas, on the green side). Top with some barely sweetened creme fraiche, or serve atop vanilla ice cream or pound cake. Garnish with a few crisp banana cihps, if you wish —Kayb
tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
ounces cream cheese or mascarpone, room temp
tablespoons brown sugar
Banana chips, toasted dried coconut, dried pineapple, optional, for garnish
- Peel bananas or plantains, cut in half crosswise and then cut halves in half lengthwise. Saute over medium high heat until outsides begin to caramelize. Remove and arrange in 9 x 9 baking dish.
- In blender, put seeded orange sections, cream cheese, spices and sugar. Add some orange zest if you like, or save it to garnish the top. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over bananas. Garnish, with desired, banana chips, dried pineapple, toasted coconut, or orange zest. Or whatever else strikes your fancy. I have used drained maraschino cherries.
- Bake in 350F oven for 20 minutes, just until slightly browned on top. Serve warm, over ice cream, pound cake, or topped with creme fraiche.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains