If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When my really dear friend, Whitney, had a birthday coming up I was racking my brain on what to get her! I heard through the grapevine she LOVED Banana Pudding! I'd never made this banana-licious treat but anything for Whitney! After her birthday, it became a staple at parties and my publishing company! It's my go-to dessert now! It's so quick, easy and inexpensive to make!!! I hope you enjoy Whitney's Banana Pudding! xo —Lizzy McAvoy
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
cups whole milk
cups heavy whipping cream
cup granulated sugar
large egg yolks, beaten
teaspoons vanilla extract
tablespoons unsalted butter
cups vanilla wafers
- Heat 4 cups of the milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until steaming. (** DO NOT BOIL, just lightly heat**)
- Whisk the sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks and the remaining 1/2 cup milk into the sugar/cornstarch mixture.
- Whisk half of the hot milk into the egg mixture until smooth, then gradually whisk the egg-milk mixture into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until it has thickened to a pudding like consistency, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and butter. (** Once the mixture is on the stove, it’ll thicken quickly so don’t leave the pan alone. Be sure to whisk the side well as to not get any browned edges. Be careful when it starts to boil, the pudding sometimes pops. The pudding mixture will be a little thin on the stove but will thicken more in the fridge.**)
- Cool slightly, stirring a few times to prevent a skin from forming. (** Placing a piece of plastic wrap directly on the top of the pudding will help prevent a film from forming on the top**)
- Refrigerate until completely cooled and thickened, about 4 hours.
- ASSEMBLING THE BANANA PUDDING: Start with a deep bowl, trifle, or casserole dish. Start with a layer of vanilla wafers, next bananas, then homemade pudding. Continue this process for two to three more layers (depending on your dish) and top with whipped cream. Garnish with either banana slices and/or vanilla wafer cookie crumbles. Bon Appetit!
Homemade Whipped Cream
cups heavy whipping cream
tablespoons powdered sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, pour in heavy whipping cream. Either with a stand mixer with whisk attachment or handheld mixer with whisk attachment, began beating the whipping cream at a low speed.
- Gradually increase speed as cream thickens, 3-4 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat whipped cream on high for 1-2 additional minutes until whipped cream is stiff but not separating. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains