If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This tweak on a classic tres leches adds passionfruit juice to the soaking liquid to create a super delicious punch of fruit flavor that I am totally obsessed with. —Erin McDowell
Food52 Review: For more on how to make, and vary, tres leches cake, see the full article. —The Editors
Makes: one 9x13 cake
tablespoons (170 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
cups (297 g) granulated sugar
large (397 g) eggs
teaspoons (7 g) vanilla extract
cups (271 g) all purpose flour
teaspoons (6 g) baking powder
teaspoon (3 g) fine sea salt
cup (185 g) passionfruit juice (I used Goya brand)
cup (112 g) whole milk
(14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
(12 ounce) can evaporated milk
lightly sweetened whipped cream, as needed for finishing
passionfruit pulp, as needed for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well to combine. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to combine. Add the mixture to the mixer and mix just until incorporated. Scrape well to ensure the batter is evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 38-40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Poke the cake all over with a wooden skewer. Pour the passionfruit juice evenly over the whole cake. In a large container, preferably one with a pour spout, whisk the milk, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk to combine.
- Gently pour the mixture all over the cake, letting it soak in through the holes. Most of this will happen quickly, but if some liquid pools up anywhere on the surface of the cake, just spoon it back over the cake until the mixture is absorbed (let it sit for about 30 minutes).
- Finish the cake with the whipped cream and the fresh passionfruit pulp. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 5 hours before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: