If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: BOX CAKE MIX HACK! Elevate a plain yellow box cake mix into a homemade craving cake using this recipe. Moist coconut flavored cake with honey almond crusted top.
I usually don’t prefer box cakes but sometimes when convenience calls, I end up using one, but with my twist so it ends in a moist and delicious homemade like cake. In this recipe, I have used King Arthur Gluten free yellow cake mix which I found to be super moist and light. You can use any yellow/pound cake mix of your choice. —Jiya.A
packet King Arthur Gluten free Yellow cake mix
tablespoons Vegetable Oil
cup Room temp Unsalted Butter
cup Coconut milk
cup Slivered Almonds
cup Desiccated Coconut
Round nonstick cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp butter, and honey in the cake pan and keep in the preheated oven for about 4 mins until the mixture melts together to form a caramel consistency.
- Now carefully take the cake pan out of the oven and sprinkle some slivered almonds and desiccated coconut over the caramel and allow it to set
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, oil, eggs and coconut milk, milk and cake mix using an electric mixer for about 2 mins until the batter gets a smooth consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared caramel set pan and use a spatula to evenly distribute the batter.
- Tap the cake pan twice on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles.
- Bake, as directed in the cake mix package for about 35 to 40 mins or until the center of the cake, rises and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for about half an hour and then invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve the cake sprinkled with some desiccated coconut on top.
- Tip# If you are not a fan of the honey flavor, you can omit that and just use sugar and butter to make caramel.
- Tip# You can substitute the liquid mentioned in the cake mix with pineapple juice/ orange juice/even coffee to get different variations of the cake mix.