Author Notes: This recipe came about from a recent, but dim, memory of someone blogging that they disliked the green apple-basil-ginger granita at a certain restaurant as much as they enjoyed the chocolate something-or-another. I thought, what's not to like? An internet search yielded all sorts of variations; I believe the original one came from Gourmet in July 2003, which guided me to the proportions used here.. —Hugetracts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups sparkling apple cider, apple cider, or apple juice
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Using a blender or a mini food processor, whirl ginger, sugar and basil until finely ground
- Pour apple juice and lemon juice into a medium sized bowl, add ginger, sugar and basil, stir
- Allow ingredients to get acquainted for a few minutes, then pour through either a fine-mesh sieve or a few layers of cheesecloth into a 9 x 11 metal baking pan
- Place pan in freezer, and stir every hour or so with a fork to crush lumps until pretty much frozen, about 4 hours.
- After a final crushing, scrape into pretty glasses ... martinti glasses work great!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert