If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From “Rocco’s Healthy + Delicious” cookbook: “Espresso in meatloaf? Yes, just 2 teaspoons of espresso powder in the topping to amplify the beefy flavor of meatloaf. This recipe is gluten-free, too, since it uses puffed rice (instead of bread) as a binder.” —Food52
Food52 Review: Featured in: The Secret to Moist (!) Meatloaf Is Hiding in Your Breakfast Cereal —The Editors
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
cup puffed rice cereal
cup reduced-sodium beef broth
pound lean ground beef
Salt and pepper
tablespoons unsweetened ketchup
tablespoons tomato paste
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
teaspoons instant espresso powder (such as Medaglia d’Oro)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place the puffed rice in a large bowl. Pour the beef broth on top of it and mix well to break apart the puffs.
- Add the ground beef and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Form into a 7 x 4-inch loaf shape and place on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the broiler to high.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and espresso powder. Brush this over the meatloaf and return to the broiler. Check after 5 minutes. The crust of the meatloaf should be browned and sticky to the touch.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!