Author Notes: After the success with making the cauliflower crust, I used the same basic plan to create a solid sheet of material that could be cut into strips. Then I simply made lasagna, like in the olden days. —Brian Coppola
Makes: 12 servings
Prep time: 2 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
large head of cauliflower
pounds shredded mozzarella
hot Italian sausages
pounds bulk Italian sweet sausage
large Vidalia onions, diced and caramelized in EVOO
ounces DOP San Marzano tomatoes
ounces tomato paste
pound mozarella, cut into think slices
ounces parmigiano reggiano (mixture of shaved and grated)
- Noodle: quarter, break up and roast the cauliflower, drizzled with EVOO, at 425F until nutty and browned (about 30 minutes); remove and cool
- Noodle: load a food processor with the eggs and process them; add the cooled cauliflower and blend; add the shredded mozzarella and continue to process until smooth
- Noodle: Line a 13x18 sheet pan with parchment; smooth the cauliflower mixture into an even layer (about ¼ in) to cover the pan, using a dough scraper as a spreader; bake at 450F until solid and browned, about 20 minutes.
- Sauce: Load the food processor with the San Marzano tomatoes, tomato paste, about 4 T EVOO, the caramelized onions, and a selection of spices and herbs; blend thoroughly.
- Meats: oven-roast the sausage links at 350F; cool and slice.
- Meats: brown the bulk sausage in EVOO; add a generous amount of fennel seeds, plus herbs and spices; added 2 cups of the sauce at the end, along with the sausage slices, and blend well.
- Assemble: Cut four strips of the cauliflower noodles along the short direction, about 2-2.5 inches wide (x 13). Cut the remaining piece along the other direction into 6 shorter strips. Coat the bottom of a 10x14 in baking dish with sauce. Add the long layer of 4 noodles. Coat these with the meats, and add 1-2 cups of sauce. Add the short layer of 6 noodles and coat with sauce. Add the mozzarella slices and the mixture of parmigianno cheeses. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, until bubbling.
- Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve with additional sauce, grated cheese, and chopped parsley.