If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A little while back, a group of friends from my dinner club spent a long weekend at a cottage near Petosky on the shores of Lake Michigan. We split our time between foraging for ramps, fiddlehead ferns, and morel mushrooms; baking crusty loaves of sourdough; and planning our next meal while walking along the beach. One of the stars of the trip were these venison steaks. The gin tames some of the gaminess of the meat while also imparting a subtle herbal note that compliments the bay. Just be sure not to overcook the meat; venison is naturally lean, so I don't recommend grilling it past medium. —chez_mere
Prep time: 8 hrs
Cook time: 15 min
cups olive oil
cup orange marmelade
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon black pepper
pounds venison, cut into 1" thick steaks
Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for garnish
- In a shallow dish big enough to hold all the venison in a single layer, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, marmalade, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Slowly add the gin, whisking constantly to combine.
- Pat the steaks dry and add them to the dish with the marinade. Turn to coat, rubbing the marinade into the steaks a little as you do. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before you want to eat, fire up the grill. You want a nice sear, so try to let it preheat for 15-20 minutes over high heat. Once the grill is hot, remove steaks from marinade and place on grill rack. Turn the heat down to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes, turning the steaks over after 4 minutes. This will get you a nice medium rare steak - if you like it a little more done cook for an additional 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes on a plate, then slice them against the grain and finish with a flourish of flakey salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilling Recipe