If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Black & Blue (berry) Rock & Rye pie made with Slow & Low Rock and Rye WHISKEY! A fun, and boozy, spin on a blueberry pie made with blackberries, blueberries, Slow & Low whiskey and a touch of fresh orange zest, there is no better way to cheers to America's birthday! Created by Caity's Pies in Nashville, TN. —Donna
Prep time: 35 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 10 min
batch of unbaked pie dough (can be store bought)
cup All Purpose Flour
tablespoons Quick Cooking Tapioca
tablespoons Fresh Orange zest, divided
tablespoons Slow & Low Rock and Rye Whiskey
tablespoon Turbinado Sugar
- Mix berries, sugar, flour, tapioca, half of the orange zest, and the Slow & Low in a bowl.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes, or use immediately if fruit is frozen.
- Roll out half of the dough In a 10 inch circle and line a 9” pie pan.
- Fill with berry mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover berries either with a lattice or a top crust with slits across to vent.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Crack an egg in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Brush across the top crust and add a sprinkle of turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 and then reduce heat to 350. Continue to bake for 40 -50 minutes, turning at least once. Cover the edges with foil towards the end of the bake, if needed.
- Allow pie to cool for 5 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest and serve with Whiskey ice cream and a glass of Slow & Low.