Author Notes: Based on a Serious Eats recipe, this potato salad showcases the variety of potato you use, so choose carefully! It's a little more work than just boiling, but the flavor payout is worth it. —Jim Kennedy
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
tablespoons kosher salt
tablespoons rice wine vinegar, divided
cup diced red onion
cup diced celery
scallions, sliced thinly
tablespoons whole grain mustard
To Taste: salt and pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes in 3/4 inch cubes.
- Place in large pot with 2 quarts cold water, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp salt and 2 tbsp rice vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer until just tender, approximately 12 minutes.
- Drain and spread out on rimmed baking sheet in single layer. Sprinkle with 3 tbsp of rice vinegar. Let cool on counter for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl place 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, red onion, celery and scallions. Mix thoroughly.
- Add potatoes. Coat with sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.