This dish is actually called Pasta e fagioli, meaning "pasta and beans", and is a traditional Italian dish. Popularly known as pasta fazool in the United States after its name in the Neapolitan language, pasta e fasule. The dish started as a peasant dish, being composed of inexpensive ingredients. Recipes for Pasta e fagioli vary widely, the only true requirement being that beans and pasta are included. While recipes vary from region to region it is most commonly made using cannellini beans, Great Northern beans or borlotti beans and a small variety of pasta such as elbow macaroni or ditalini.
This is my mother’s recipe and what I have eaten my entire life. It is one of my favorite meals.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serves 4-6
Great Northern White beans
Medium onion, chopped
Garlic clove, minced
Spaghetti, broken to 2" pieces
Hot red pepper, chopped or coarse ground
- Cut bacon into small pieces and with chopped onion and garlic saute in 4 qt saucepan.
- Add oregano, chopped pepper and water to 2/3 full. Bring water to boil.
- Add spaghetti and boil until tender.
- Add beans, bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, parsley for color.