This recipe is featured in the story, 4 Light, Bright Chilled Soups for Sizzling-Hot Summer Days, sponsored by Milk Life.
This silky soup gets its sweetness from ripe summer corn simmered in creamy organic milk and its savory nuttiness from pistachios, which soften and mellow during cooking. For even more fresh corn flavor, add in some of the cleaned cobs during simmering to help thicken the milk with natural starches and sugars. —Judy Haubert
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 4 hrs 30 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 15 min
ears corn, shucked
cups whole organic dairy milk, plus more as needed
ounces shelled, roasted pistachios, plus more roughly chopped for garnish (optional)
small yellow onion, diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
tablespoons minced chives, for garnish (optional)
- Cut the kernels off the cobs into a large saucepan; using the edge of your knife, scrape the liquid and pulp from the cobs into the pan. Break 3 of the cobs in half and add them to the pan with the kernels.
- Add the milk, pistachios, onion, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, keeping an eye on the pan to make sure the milk doesn’t boil over, and cook until the pistachios are tender and the milk is reduced to just below the level of the corn mixture, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the 6 pieces of cob. Let cool 30 minutes or to room temperature.
- Working in batches, purée the soup until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on and discarding the solids.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight. Stir well and thin with additional milk to your desired consistency, if needed. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with chives and extra pistachios if you like.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!