A nice, sweet dessert of bread and ice cream —Kitchen Butterfly
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
Half a loaf of sandwich bread - cut off from the end and at least 4 inches high. Pullmans white, Hokkaido and other sandwich breads work well
butter, still warm (melted, brown, spiced)
vanilla ice cream/ gelato or your favourite
toppings - popcorn, peanuts, fresh pineapple, coconut cookies
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with baking/ parchement paper. Set to one side
- Make the bread box - the goal is to have a hollow box and bread bricks - made of the bit hollowed out. With a serated knife, cut round the sides being careful to leave a border about 1/2 an inch. To release this from the bottom, make an incision on one side of the base, being careful not to slice all the way through. Remove the 'bread inside square'. Cut it into 1 inch pieces - the bricks.
- Butter it up - liberally spread melted butter on all sides of the bread bricks. Also, brush the inside of the bread hollow. Set on the baking sheet and let toast in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 12 - 15 minutes, turning the bricks 2 or 3 times so they toast evenly. Remove once crisp.
- Where does the honey go if you're using it? Here. Now. This is the time to spread it on the toast.
- The Assembly - set your bread on the serving plate or platter, something that will catch the drips and drizzles. Begin by putting some bread bricks in the box, top with ice cream and alternate till you reach the top. Decorate with whatever toppings you like. Drizzle some syrup on and dive in!