"This salad is perfect at a summer barbecue, great alongside all sorts of grilled meats and vegetables. Make the couscous, onion, and raisin mix 1 day in advance, if you like, and keep separately in the fridge—just bring back to room temperature before serving."
This recipe is featured in the story, A Simple, Make-Ahead Menu from Ottolenghi’s Latest Cookbook, sponsored by Ten Speed Press. It is reprinted from Simple, by Yotam Ottolenghi with Tara Wigley and Esme Howarth, with permission from our partner Ten Speed Press. —Food52
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
1 1/2 cups
ras el hanout
Salt and black pepper
1 2/3 cups
onions, sliced paper-thin
cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
roasted and salted almonds, roughly chopped
cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
mint leaves, roughly torn
lemon (finely zest to get 1 teaspoon, then juice to get 1 tablespoon)
- Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon ras el hanout, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and plenty of pepper, then pour in the boiling water. Stir, cover the bowl tightly with foil and set aside for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, fluff the couscous with a fork, and set aside to cool.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil into a large frying pan and place over high heat. Once hot, add the tomatoes and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring a few times, until they start to brown and split open. Remove from the pan, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and set aside with any juices.
- Wipe the pan clean, then add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and return to medium-high heat. Add the onions, the remaining 1 teaspoon of ras el hanout, and 1/8 teaspoon salt and fry for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring until dark golden brown and soft. Remove from the heat, stir in the raisins, and set aside to cool.
- Once the couscous has cooled slightly, transfer it to a large bowl. Add the onion and raisin mix and stir. Add the cumin, almonds, cilantro, mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a generous grind of pepper and mix gently.
- Transfer to a serving platter, top with the tomatoes, and serve.