Author Notes: Our families favorite version of America's most loved pie.
Makes: 1 nine inch deep pie
Prep time: 1 hrs 30 min
Cook time: 50 min
Double pie crust, purchased or your favorite home made.
Fresh Apples;Empire, McIntosh, Granny Smith, Ginger Gold, Pippin, Rome, or your favorite sweet-tart apple.
cup Sugar; it works with recommended replacement amount of sugar substitutes as well.
cup All purpose flour
cups Caramel bits(diced wrapped caramel cubes, or those cute caramel "bits"in a bag from Kraft.
cups Walnut pieces
- Peel and core apples into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients and toss to coat.
- Line a 9" pie pan with one piece of crust dough
- Fill crust with apple mix, piling up above the edge about an inch. Dot with small chunks of the butter.
- Cover filling with second piece of crust dough and seal all around by crimping top to bottom. Cut a few slits in the top for steam to escape.
- Place in a preheated oven (400 degrees),and bake for 40min. Lower the temperature to 350,and bake 20min. longer until the crust is tan and juice is bubbling from the slits.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. It can be served in about 20min. or any time thereafter, ( and warmed up in the microwave, till warm.)