Baked apples are a real comfort food. I often stash them in the oven just before dinner, allowing them enough time to cook at a lower temperature, until they become soft and glossy with honey. I like to serve these alongside a scoop of vanilla gelato; the combo is the ultimate post-dinner treat.
This recipe is featured in the story, The Easy, Cheesy Casserole That’s Always on My Sunday Dinner Table, sponsored by Lagostina. —Giulia Scarpaleggia
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 4
apples (Gala, Golden Delicious, or Red Delicious)
vinsanto or Marsala wine
- Soak the raisins with 1 tablespoon of Marsala and 1 tablespoon of water for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 320° F.
- Wash the apples and core them.
- Drain the raisins and squeeze them; then, chop them finely with the toasted almonds and cinnamon using a food processor.
- Fill the apples with the almond and raisin filling, then place then in a baking dish with 1 inch of water. Drizzle the apples with the honey and remaining Marsala.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the apples are soft and glossy; baste the apples every 20 minutes with the cooking liquid.
- Serve the warm apples in individual cups, drizzled with some of their cooking liquid.