- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 4
Baked apples are a real comfort food. I often stash them in the oven just before dinner, allowing them enough time to cook at a lower temperature, until they become soft and glossy with honey. I like to serve these alongside a scoop of vanilla gelato; the combo is the ultimate post-dinner treat.
This recipe is featured in the story, The Easy, Cheesy Casserole That’s Always on My Sunday Dinner Table, sponsored by Lagostina. —Giulia Scarpaleggia
apples (Gala, Golden Delicious, or Red Delicious)
vinsanto or Marsala wine
- Soak the raisins with 1 tablespoon of Marsala and 1 tablespoon of water for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 320° F.
- Wash the apples and core them.
- Drain the raisins and squeeze them; then, chop them finely with the toasted almonds and cinnamon using a food processor.
- Fill the apples with the almond and raisin filling, then place then in a baking dish with 1 inch of water. Drizzle the apples with the honey and remaining Marsala.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the apples are soft and glossy; baste the apples every 20 minutes with the cooking liquid.
- Serve the warm apples in individual cups, drizzled with some of their cooking liquid.