Author Notes: A treat for your eyes and taste buds! —Susanna Ekholm-Reed
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 45 min
cup Super-fine almond flour
cups all-purpose flour
grams unsalted butter, cold
cup ice water
cups whole milk
cup creme fraiche
tablespoon vanilla bean powder
grams unsalted butter
In This Recipe
- Preheat over to 350 deg F. Grease non-stick, 12" quiche pan.
- Mix flour, salt, and sugar. Add cold butter cut into cubes and use a pastry blender to mix until small crumbs form. Add cold water, mix and gather dough carefully into a course, sticky ball.
- Press dough onto bottom of the pan and 1" up the side. Freeze for 30 min.
- Bake crust for 45 min, until golden brown all over.
- Let crust cool completely until filling with custard. Cover with plastic wrap and store cold if not used immediately.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, creme fraiche, vanilla bean powder, sugar, and salt until simmering.
- Beat egg yolks with the cornstarch until smooth, for about 30 sec.
- Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the yolk mixture and return mixture to the saucepan. Keep stirring for about 1 min, until the custard thickens. Turn off the heat.
- Whisk in the cold butter. Transfer custard to a container with a tight fitting lid, or to a bowl and put saran wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate until assembly, at least for 1 hour.
- For assembly and glaze: fill crust with custard and arrange berries and fruit from the outside in, or spread berries randomly on top of the custard. For glaze, heat apricot jam to a boil and use pastry brush to apply onto berries and fruit.
- Serve immediately! Can be made a few hours in advance but not more, or the crust will get soggy.