Author Notes: These fritters are one of our staples when we hit on weekends or on rough days. (Read: we bought 2 dozens of them)
This is an adaptation from the infamous "Pisang Goreng Madu Bu Nanik". Their brownish-caramelized sticky disk-shaped fritters are for the win.
There's no exact original recipe since they keep it a secret. In here, Jakarta. Most banana fritters only cost Rp1.000,00 to Rp2.500,00/3 pieces (only $0.17). But these costs Rp5.000,00/piece ($0.35). Pricey but worth the money.
Since they're really good-fudgy-chewy-fluffy-all in a good balance. Eat them in moderation. A piece will make you full from dinner to the next morning, thanks to their fudginess.
Use ripe bananas that are firm enough, not mushy, and not starchy. —Putdar
Makes: 10 fritters
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 50 min
cup Cake flour
teaspoons Baking powder
tablespoons Powdered sugar
cups Cold water
tablespoons Coconut milk
teaspoons Vanilla Extract
cups Ripe bananas (chopped)
quarts Canola oil
Honey (for drizzling)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients and make a well in it.
- Pour coconut milk, vanilla, and honey in it and mix well.
- Pour water and ice blocks into the batter and mix them gradually until it resembles a pancake batter. Cover with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Chop the banana into coin sized cubes with 0.5 to 1 inch thickness. Take out the batter and dump chopped bananas into the batter. Mix well.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 quarts of canola oil to 375°F. After the oil is hot enough (tested by pouring a little bit of the batter and it will supposed to float immediately), reduce the heat to medium to low. Scoop some banana with a ladle and place the ladle into the oil. Shake the ladle a little bit until the batter comes off (it's better to keep the batter stays in shape. It should resembles a peach fritter shape).
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes each side, until both sides become amber in color. Remove with a slotted spoon, dry on a wire rack over a paper towel. Repeat for the rest of the batter.
- Drizzle the top with honey and sprinkle powdered sugar while still hot. (Optional)