Author Notes: A grain-free keto recipe for your daily bread. This is a fantastic recipe because it does not have that typical 'eggy' taste most keto breads have.
I've tried a few recipes and tinkered with them too, then finally thought this was the best one ever! I like that there are not 10 eggs there, because I subbed some of them with cream cheese, and it totally works! I like that we don't have to separate the eggs and whisk the whites into peaks and summits before folding them in, necessitating another bowl to wash. I also like that it includes both psyllium husk and xanthan gum, the former contributing to much-needed fiber, and the latter helping to make the bread soft and not crumbly.
This almond loaf is rather 'heavy' or hearty, so I slice them rather thinly. And then enjoy with any keto-friendly topping I stock my fridge with: cream cheese, tapenade, paté, or any of a slew of Dutch cheeses which have now taken over the entire fridge drawer. On weekends, breakfast treats involve egg salad or chicken salad sandwich. Now you see why I'm glad to have a supply of bread in the fridge. It's also that comfort factor ... who doesn't love a sandwich in the morning? —Sheila - FuelingWithFlavour
Makes: 10 slices
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
large eggs, at room temperature
grams cream cheese, softened
milliliters salted butter, melted
tablespoons coconut oil
grams almond flour
tablespoon psyllium husk
tablespoon xanthan gum
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons seeds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 175C or 350F.
- Line a metal 22x13 cm or 9x5 inch baking tin with parchment paper. If using a glass baking dish, you can leave it un-greased and unlined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, psyllium husk, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs on high for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cream cheese and continue beating for another minute. Finally, add the melted butter and oil and beat till combined.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and fold until just combined and no visible streaks of flour remain.
- Place the batter to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the seeds or bagel seasoning on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Slice rather thinly as this bread is quite hearty.