Made out of desperation and my love of all things spicy, briny, and salty, with the added bonus of extra veggies from the zoodles.
Made out of desperation and my love of all things spicy, briny, and salty, with the added bonus of extra veggies from the zoodles.—carlsbrd
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
packet whole wheat spaghetti noodles (or any other long noodle)
red pepper flakes
cup dry white wine or rose
tablespoons olive oil
garlic cloves to taste
salt & pepper
- Spiralize zucchini, and salt and set in a colander to drain.
- Heat well salted water until boiling.
- Add whole wheat spaghetti to boiling water, and cook until just shy of al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, squeeze the liquid from the zucchini noodles with a cheesecloth or dishcloth.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta in, heat three tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering.
- When pasta is done, reserve a mug full of pasta water before dumping pasta on top of the same colander full of zucchini noodles to drain.
- Add crushed garlic cloves and red pepper flakes, and cook until the garlic is just browned and fragrant.
- Add the wine and cook over medium/high for about 3-5 minutes, or until reduced.
- Add the zucchini noodles and whole wheat pasta, along with a splash of pasta water. Cook, stirring until a creamy sauce forms (add more pasta water if needed).
- Finish with lemon juice and pecorino to taste (to make vegan, omit pecorino).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pantry Pasta