Author Notes: Made out of desperation and my love of all things spicy, briny, and salty, with the added bonus of extra veggies from the zoodles. —carlsbrd
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
packet whole wheat spaghetti noodles (or any other long noodle)
red pepper flakes
cup dry white wine or rose
tablespoons olive oil
garlic cloves to taste
salt & pepper
- Spiralize zucchini, and salt and set in a colander to drain.
- Heat well salted water until boiling.
- Add whole wheat spaghetti to boiling water, and cook until just shy of al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, squeeze the liquid from the zucchini noodles with a cheesecloth or dishcloth.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta in, heat three tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering.
- When pasta is done, reserve a mug full of pasta water before dumping pasta on top of the same colander full of zucchini noodles to drain.
- Add crushed garlic cloves and red pepper flakes, and cook until the garlic is just browned and fragrant.
- Add the wine and cook over medium/high for about 3-5 minutes, or until reduced.
- Add the zucchini noodles and whole wheat pasta, along with a splash of pasta water. Cook, stirring until a creamy sauce forms (add more pasta water if needed).
- Finish with lemon juice and pecorino to taste (to make vegan, omit pecorino).