Author Notes: My favorite hors d'oeuvres are easy to put together and full of flavor. It is no wonder then, that I love baked cheese and often have at least one version on the table during cocktail hour. Although I usually turn to brie for this task, this recipe is lovely with bucheron. —gingerroot
Serves: 4-6 as a starter, easily doubled
cup fresh cranberries, washed and picked over
tablespoons unsalted butter
tablespoons light brown sugar
round bucheron (goat cheese)
- Position oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter until it begins to brown.
- Carefully add cranberries (if your butter is sputtering, you may want to remove saucepan from heat momentarily to avoid burning yourself when you add cranberries).
- Add brown sugar and frangelico. Allow mixture to bubble and cook for about 4 minutes. Cranberries should split open. Remove mixture from heat.
- Meanwhile, place bucheron round in a broiler proof container.
- Spoon all of the cranberries and some of the liquid on to the goat cheese round. Reserve remaining liquid.
- Broil for 3 minutes.
- Transfer cranberry studded bucheron round to serving plate. Spoon additional liquid over cheese and cranberries. Serve with crackers or crostini.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish