Author Notes: A neighbor of mine in Rome gave me this recipe after we had spent an afternoon talking and drinking coffee. I realized how late it was and I needed to make dinner quickly. Having grown up with tuna always cover in mayo or some creamy sauce it was refreshing to have it in it's purer form. It's also fast easy (sauce and pasta cook about the same time) and my family really loved it —Barbra Fite
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
can of oil packed tuna
medium onion chopped finely
ounces pasta of choice
pinch red pepper flakes (or more)
mashed anchovy fillets (optional)
cup extra virgin olive oil
cup chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- In a small saucepan heat, the oil over medium-high heat then add onion and pepper flakes. Cook until onion softens, 4-5 min.
- Add drained tuna and anchovy if using to onions. Stir well and leave on low heat until pasta is done,
- Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Put pasta in the serving bowl pour over warmed tuna sauce. Stir to combine add some pasta water if it seems dry.
- Sprinkle top with parsley. Can be served as is or with toasted bread crumb or parmesan cheese. A squeeze of lemon is also very nice.