Vietnamese Egg coffee or Caphe trung is a popular Vietnamese drink. Vietnamese egg coffee is a perfect balance between bitter and sweet. This easy coffee recipe used egg yolk, condense milk and robust coffee. The results is a rich and delicious coffee, perfect for Sunday brunch. Think of it as a liquid tiramisu in a cup. For coffee lovers, this is a must-try.
Note: If you don't have a Vietnamese coffee filter, substitute with very strong espresso shots.
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 5 minutes
- Serves 1
egg yolk (pasteurized)
vanilla sugar (0.2oz) or 1tsp vanilla extract
coffee ground (Cafe Du monte brand)
Vietnamese coffee filter
- To make the vietnamese coffee: remove the middle metal filter and add in 2 tablespoons of coffee ground to the base. Close tightly.
- To brew: Add a small amount of boiling water to the base. Then fill the filter with boiling water all the way to the top. Close lid.
- To prepare the egg mixture: Place egg yolks, condense milk, vanilla sugar in a measuring cup or a bowl. Using a hand mixer, whisk the mixture on low speed until combine, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium high and whisk for about 1 to 2 minutes, until egg is fluffy.
- Pour the egg mixture over the coffee. Enjoy!
- Notes: To keep the coffee warm, place the cup of brew coffee in a bowl of hot water bath while preparing the egg mixture.