Author Notes: Easy to make and very satisfying. Great for when you are in a 'meatless mood'. —cookinthecountry
Prep time: 6 hrs 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
cup mung beans, whole or split
cup thick plain yogurt
tablespoons olive oil
small red onion
handfuls parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the mung beans in cold water according to packet instructions. I find this varies according to the brand, but 6 hours should be enough.
- Rinse the beans, put in a saucepan, add cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Split beans take 10-12 minutes, whole ones more than 20. Again, check packet instructions.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the carrot lengthwise into halves, toss with a little olive oil and grill in a grilling pan.
- Slice red onion very thin.
- When beans are done, rinse in a colander with cold water.
- When properly drained, toss them in a bowl with the onion, cumin, coriander, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the roasted carrot into smaller pieces and add to the bowl.
- Serve with a dollop of thick yogurt on top.
- This dish is best eaten warm or cold, not piping hot.