Author Notes: For this Recipe Off-Roading, I had the opportunity to get creative in the driver’s seat and remake Maialino's Olive Oil Cake. I decided to nix the citrus ingredients, and opt for a boozy and decadent Bourbon & Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Cake. Best of all, it’s dairy-free! I switched up the recipe by adding unsweetened soy milk, bourbon (a personal favorite), cinnamon, sea salt, and last but not least, dark chocolate. The flavor is spot on with just the right amount of zing from the bourbon and the cake’s crispy outer layer is hard to resist. —Hillary Shope
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 15 min
cups all-purpose flour
teaspoons sea salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cups extra-virgin olive oil
cups unsweetened organic soy milk
cup Bourbon (Four Roses Single Barrel)
ounces Dark Chocolate (Dairy Free)
Handful Powdered Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grab a 9-inch cake pan that’s 2 inches deep. Oil or butter (non-dairy) the interior of the pan completely.
- Cut parchment paper into a 9 inch circle and place in the bottom of the pan
- In a medium bowl, mix your dry ingredients, including: flour, sugar, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix your wet ingredients, including: olive oil, soy milk, eggs and bourbon. Mix well.
- Add your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients. Chop 2.625 ounces of chocolate (or 1 1/2 chocolate bars if you’re using 1.75 ounce bars like I am) and mix into the batter. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan and place in the oven to bake for 75 minutes (or more). Make sure a cake tester comes out clean from the middle of the cake before removing it from the oven.
- Once it’s done baking, place on pan on the counter to cool for thirty minutes. After that, use a knife to loosen the sides of the pan. Then, flip the cake upside down onto a cooling rack to cool completely (at least two hours)
- Once fully cooled, remove the cake from the pan and place upright. Lightly sift the top of the cake with powdered sugar and add the remainder of the chopped chocolate for topping.