Following the off-roading Food52 project, I made Amanda Hesser's peach tart.
I took the recipe and made it gluten free by using a combination of Bob's Redmill 1-1 Gluten Free flour and almond meal. It made a crunchy crust - not too sweet and wonderfully flavored. The edges browned a little more than expected so I recommend starting to watch the tart after 25 minutes for golden browning and perhaps cover the edges with aluminum foil to allow a deeper brown for the crumb while keeping the edges of the crust lightly golden.
In the crumb poured over the peaches in the tart, instead of 3/4 cup granulated sugar, I used 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar, to give a deeper caramel sweetness to it.
The tart came out delicious and everyone asked for a recipe! Being sensitive to gluten, being able to find a tart recipe that works gluten-free is a joy! —Netta Balter
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 8-10
Bob's Redmill 1-1 Gluten Free Flour + 2 tablespoons
granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon
sugar - cut into cubes
small, ripe peaches
- Heat oven to 215 degrees C (425F) and put the rack in the middle of the oven. Butter an 11-in tart pan.
- In a bowl, combine your flour, almond meal, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Mix together. In another bowl, combine your oils, milk and almond extract. Whisk together.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly pour the oil mixture into it, mixing together with a fork. Mix until the flour mixture is damp - no need to over-mix.
- Pour the crust ingredients into the buttered tart pan and flatten. Use the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass to get it evenly spread out on the bottom of the tart pan. Make sure it goes up the sides too. Set aside. We will now set to work on the filling.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your sugars, 2 tablespoons gluten free flour and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Add in the cubed butter. With your fingers, pinch the butter into the sugars and flour mixture until it becomes a sand like mixture. Set aside.
- Wash your peaches and pit them. Slice them into half moons that are about 1 cm thick (not too thin). Arrange the peaches in the tart in circles, from the outside-in, with each layer slightly overlapping the last. Arrange them until you reach the middle, and place a small square in the middle.
- Once your peach slices are nicely arranged in the tart, sprinkle it with the crumb. It will cover them all and seem like a lot - but it's just the right amount of delicious! Once you've poured your crumb mixture over the peaches, place your tart in the oven. It will need 25-35 minutes - until the crumb browns and melts over your peaches and the crust is a golden brown. Cool on a rack and serve warm or room temperature, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!