Author Notes: Adapted from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake recipe
To change up this recipe, I chose earl gray to complement the olive oil flavor and not overpower it.
I wanted to add more depth and lightness, and complexity to a great recipe to make it more exiting and warm.
By infusing the oil, steeping the milk, and including ground earl gray, the simply delicious olive oil cake was made even better and has a more complex flavor that is delightful. —Molly
Makes: 10 inch round
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 50 min
teaspoon Baking soda
teaspoon Baking powder
packets Earl gray tea bags, divided
cups Olive oil
cup Orange juice
- Steep 4 tea bags in olive oil in a small pot on low heat until fragrant(about 10 minutes). Strain and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Grind up 4 tea bags in a spice grinder and steep in warm milk for 5 minutes. Do not strain the ground tea out.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Put the batter into the cake pan and bake 45 minutes to an hour or until cake is browned and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Cool to room temperature before enjoying!