A traditional Scandinavian dessert. —mommiecooks
- Makes 2 Kringles
butter, softened (for the dough)
Butter (for the filling)
Maple Sugar (you can sub brown)
Vanilla (for the glaze)
Milk (for the glaze)
In This Recipe
- Grab your softened butter and spread it out on a piece of waxed paper to about 8x16.
- Stick it in the fridge and let it get good and cold.
- While your butter is chilling, you'll grab a bowl and dissolve your yeast in the water. You'll then add in the milk, sugar, salt, almond extract, and egg.
- Mix it up well and then add in your flour. Use your hands to make a nice dough. Stick your dough in the fridge and let that chill down as well.
- When everything is good and chilled, pull it out and roll your dough out to about an 8x12 rectangle.
- Cut your sheet of butter in have and lay one piece of it over 2/3 of your dough. Fold the third of dough without the butter over on top of the butter layer and then fold the other end over the top of that.
- Now chill it again. I recommend chilling over night and starting back up the next morning.
- For the next step, you'll grab your folded dough and gently roll it to an 8x12 rectangle again. Grab your remaining piece of chilled butter, lay it on the dough the same as before and fold like above.
- Now, you'll roll the dough carefully once more to an 8x16 rectangle and fold in thirds again. Stick in the fridge and take a break one more time.
- Cut the dough in half width wise.
- Very carefully so as to not break any of the layers, roll the first half of your dough to a 6x20 inch size.
- Mix up your filling ingredients and spread it down the middle of your dough. Sprinkle a few pecans on for good measure.
- Now close up one end, wet the edge with water and then close the other edge to create a seal.
- Place your kringle on a parchment lined baking sheet and form it into an oval joining the two ends together. Flatten the whole thing down gently with your hands. Repeat this process with the second half of the dough as well.
- Heat your oven up to 350 degrees and pop the kringle in for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the kringle cools, grab up your glaze ingredients; the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk, and mix them together well.
- Now head over to your cooled kringle and drizzle that beautiful glaze over the top of it.