Author Notes: For a Mother's Day tea party with toddlers in attendance, I adapted Maialino's Olive Oil cake, substituting additional orange juice for the original's Grand Marnier, adding slice almonds for texture, and baking the recipe into bite size muffins. —Bebe Leung
Makes: 48-60 mini muffins
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 24 min
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cup olive oil
cups whole milk
tablespoons or zest from large one orange
cup freshly squeezed orange juice
cup sliced almonds
tablespoon powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 2/3 cookie sheet pan with foil and lay silicone mini muffin molds on top.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients including orange zest together in a second bowl or mixing bowl with spout.
- Pour 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk gently until blended. Add additional dry ingredients 1/3 at a time and whisk.
- Use the mixing bowl with spout to evenly divide the batter. Fill each silicone cup about 5/6 of the way full.
- Bake mini muffins for 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when removed from the center of a muffin.
- Let cool. Pop muffins out and dust with powdered sugar.