- Prep time 25 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 12 slivers or 8 substantial slices
Imagine Maialino's Olive Oil Cake's spring fling - this is that cake. With plenty of fresh rhubarb from the farmers market, I wanted to try a twist on the original recipe. I lined the cake pan with a rhubarb-orange zest mixture, and then inverted the cake once it cooled a bit. If I made again, I'd add a cup of sliced berries and mix throughout the cake. Otherwise, this one got rave reviews! —Katie Tong
rhubarbs (enough for 1 cup chopped)
zest from 1 orange
1 3/4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/3 cups
half & half
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Butter and flour a cake pan that's at least two inches deep.
- Chop 2-3 stalks of rhubarb into small ¼ inch pieces. Toss with orange zest and brown sugar before pouring the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, baking powder) in one bowl. In another bowl, whisk together liquids (olive oil, almond milk, half & half, orange juice and eggs). Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients. Once combined, pour over rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 1-hour.
- Allow cake to cool for 20-30 minutes, then use a knife to loosen the edges before covering with a plate to invert. Enjoy!