Author Notes: This is an "off-roaded" version of Maialino's Olive Oil Cake (Genius Recipes). Inspired by one of my go-to recipes, Melissa Clark's Olive Oil Zucchini Bread, that uses olive oil and Greek yogurt, I substituted plain Greek yogurt for most of the milk. The result was the same delicious cake, but with a denser crumb that stood up well to berries served along-side and even crispier sides to add good texture. —Erika S.
Makes: one 9in cake
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
grams all-purpose flour
teaspoons fine sea salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cups extra-virgin olive oil
grams 2% plain Greek yogurt
grams whole milk
tablespoon grated orange zest
cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
cup Grand Marnier
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Using olive oil, oil a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, yogurt, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice and Grand Marnier. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. The sides of the cake should be nicely golden and pull away slightly from the pan. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack, remove the parchment paper, and let cool completely, about 2 hours.
- (If desired) Serve with fresh orange slices and raspberries.