- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 21-24
This is a take on Amanda Hesser’s Peach Tart. I don’t usually stray from a recipe but when presented with the opportunity to off road Amanda’s tart, I took it as the perfect time to leave my comfort zone. First I swapped some rye flour for the AP flour...thanks to Diana Henry teaching me that Rye was for so much more than just bread. I used all butter as I was out of the oils called for at the time I made these. I used canned peaches since, here in Ohio, I don’t have access to perfectly ripe, juicy peaches and frozen peaches tend to have an off flavor to me. I added raspberries for color. Lastly, I made mini Hand pies since I don’t have a tart pan and it’s easier for my kids to grab a mini hand pie and go about their day. 😁 —Rosa
- For the Crust
All purpose flour
Apple cider vinegar
- For the Filling
Can chopped peaches
Speculas Cookies (or handful Nilla Wafers
- Put the flours, salt and brown sugar in a food processor and pulse 5 times.
- Cut the butter into chunks and put in the food processor. Pulse until consistency of pebbles.
- Mix the water and cider vinegar. Slowly pour into the food processor while pulsing until a dough forms. This will take anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the water mixture.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for a 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line a sheet pan with parchment paper, and place the cookies in a plastic bag and crush them to fine pieces (there should not be any large chunks).
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface to 1/8 thickness.
- Once the dough is rolled, using a 3 inch cutter, cut about 21-24 rounds.
- Take a 1/4 teaspoon of the cookie crumbs and place on one half of a round. Take one Raspberry, cut in half and lay on the crushed cookies. Take one piece of peach and flatten a little with your fingers and place on the Raspberry. This will help prevent your crust from being torn by the filling.
- Mix the egg in a ramekin. Rub a little of the egg wash on one half of the edge of round. Fold the other half of the round over the filling and, using the tines of a fork, crimp the edge together. Place on the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Brush the egg wash over the top of the hand pie and sprinkle a little of the Demerara Sugar on top. Repeat with the remaining rounds.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes and then enjoy!