This recipe is adopted from Martha Stewart’s One-Pan Pasta.
Normally when I find recipes, I try and figure out ways to make them more simple so kids & teens (like some of my friends) are able to make them!
This time I decided to go off-road with this recipe by making my own pasta to use in the dish...probably making it a bit more complicated :)
I altered the ingredients slightly from the original recipe, but swapping the onions for shallots, and the fresh tomatoes for canned (fire-roasted), because who has time to fire-roast their own on a Monday night? I also incorporated the basil into my fresh pasta, and then added Italian sausage, because sometimes I just like pasta with some MEAT!! I like the salty flavour of Pecorino, I swapped that in place of the Parmesan.
For the Fresh Pasta: I would suggest using your fav recipe and adding in 1 1/4 cups of fresh chopped basil.
1. In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the sausage meat, draining fat/liquid until cooked through. Remove from pan & set aside.
2. Using the same pan, add in the butter, and then shallots, garlic & red pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the can of fire roasted tomatoes to the pan, cover & let simmer on med/low for 10 mins.
4. While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to boil with a pinch of salt. Add in the fresh pasta & cook for 3-4 mins. Drain & set aside.
5. Now the fun & easy part! In the same large pot, add the sauce, cooked sausage meat, pasta & mix with the cheese!
6. Serve & Enjoy!!