This is a variation on the famous Maialino's Olive oil Cake.
I slightly twisted the original recipe with ingredients I had on hand, corresponding to my personal taste. I kept it simple just swapping the lemon for the orange and combined it with blueberries because they are my favourite flavors!
I also had some coconut sugar that I never used before so I decided to give it a try. It gives a nice brown color and a delicious caramel bonus taste to the cake.
My olive oil is a little bit strong and although it didn't disturb me, my boyfriend didn't like this "strange" taste. So if you want to feel more the citrus taste and less the olive oil, choose a light fruity one. —Diana
1 1/2 teaspoons
extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons
grated organic lemon zest
fresh lemon juice
In This Recipe
1. Heat the oven to 350° F. Grease the cake pan or insert a parchment paper inside the pan if you don’t mind the shape of the cake.
2. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and powder in a bowl. Mix the lemon zest and sugar together. Rub it in your hands to deeply mix them and extract the essential oils of the zests with the sugar. add to the dry ingredients.
3. In a bigger bowl, mix the liquid ingredients then add the dry ingredients and whisk everything but not too much.
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan and into the oven for 50 min (depending on you oven). Always check the cake with a sharp knife or cake tester to not under or overcook the cake. Let the cake cool for 30 minutes.
5. You can use the edges of the parchment paper to remove the cake of the pan or invert it on a rack and let it completely cool.
6. For the Blueberry compote, just mix 1 cup blueberries with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cook it until it reduces to half its initial size. Serve it with the cake. Enjoy! :)