Author Notes: Adapted from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake recipe, this vegan version is super moist with a lemon-y twist! —Jess
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 50 min
cups whole wheat flour
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cups extra-virgin olive oil
cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
tablespoons grated lemon zest
cup lemon juice
cup liqueur (I used elderflower)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a 9-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Mix your flax eggs: for this recipe, mix 3 tablespoons ground flax seed with about 8 tablespoons of water. Set aside and allow to gel.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. In another bowl, whisk the oil, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and liqueur. Add the flax egg and mix well. Add the dry ingredients, whisking a bit in at a time. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, checking done-ness about 40 minutes in. The cake is done when the top is golden and a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for about 30 minutes or until the pan is cool enough to touch.
- Run a knife or spatula around the edge of the cake, loosening gently. Invert onto a rack and allow to cool completely. Serve with sliced strawberries (mix sliced strawberries with lemon juice and a few teaspoons of sugar).