This was an adaptation of Maialino’s Olive Oil Cake. I used lemon zest and juice instead of orange, and I used Ouzo instead of Grand Marnier. I’m not a fan of orange flavored cakes. I like to use plain yogurt instead of milk, so I used all the plain yogurt I had and the rest milk to add up to the total amount of milk in the original recipe. I baked 6 Bundt Muffin cakes and an 8” round cake. I also made a rhubarb compote, because my husband likes rhubarb. Just felt it need some Tito absorb all the Olive Oil. —Sherrie Rogers
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 14
- Dry Ingredients
All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 teaspoons
Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
Fresh Meyer Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven 350 F, spray Bundt Muffin Pan with baking spray with flour, butter 8” round cake pan and line with parchment round.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder in a large bowl
- In 8 cup measuring cup whisk together wet ingredients, olive Oil, yogurt, milk, eggs, lemon zest and juice, and ouzo.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until combined.
- Pour batter into Muffin pans and cake pan. About 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake Muffin pan 25-30 minutes, and 8” round 60. Or until golden brown and cake tester come out clean.
- Transfer to wire racks and cook 30 minutes. Invert pans and cool completely. Serve with warm rhubarb compote.
- While cakes are baking, chop 4 stalks of rhubarb, add to pan with 2 Tablespoons water and 1/2 cup cane sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves and rhubarb is soft.
- Plate cake and top with some rhubarb compote. Enjoy