This recipe was adapted from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake. I wanted something that tasted of springtime and this recipe hit the spot. This cake is the perfect star for any occasion. —Caroline Blyskal
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 12
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 3/4 cups
1 1/3 cups
1 1/4 cups
1 1/2 tablespoons
Ground culinary lavender
Red and blue food coloring (optional)
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or spray a cake pan that is at least two inches deep and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. In another bowl, mix together the olive oil, 1 1/4 cups milk, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and limoncello. Combine ingredients in one bowl and mix together until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for one hour. Cake will be done when the top is a golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Allow pan to cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan, flip pan onto cooling rack to remove cake, and allow cake to fully cool for two hours.
- While cake is cooling combine powdered sugar, 1-2 teaspoons milk, vanilla extract, and ground culinary lavender in a mixing bowl. (Optional) Add several drops of red and blue food coloring to the icing for a desired lavender color.
- After cake is cooled, add icing on top and spread around with knife allowing frosting to drip down the edges of the cake. Garnish with edible decorations and serve.