I adapted this recipe from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake, making a few changes here and there. I changed the orange juice and zest with lemon juice and zest, and added less sugar than the original recipe. I also used 1% milk instead of whole (that's all I had on hand!), and finally I changed the Grand Marnier for rum!
The cake turned out delicious! It was very moist (thanks to the abundance of olive oil), which is how I prefer my cakes. The olive oil lent it a slight bitterness which paired perfectly with the bright lemon flavor! Finally, the adjusted amount of sugar was great : it was sweet but not overly so!
—Ines Le Cannellier
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a round cake pan with spray or neutral oil. Set aside.
2. In a medium mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the milk, oil, eggs, zest, juice, and rum. You can use a whisk or fork, just make sure the yolks are well broken up and incorporated, and the mixture is somewhat homogeneous.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently stir together. It is ok if there are a few lumps.
5. Pour into prepared pan, and bake for around 50 min. Check after 25-30 min to adjust cooking time. The cake should be lightly golden, and toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Let cool once it's done baking then enjoy!