Author Notes: A delicious twist on the classic comfort food, this Persian saffron rice pudding is unique and very delicious. —Shadi Hasanzadenemati
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 15 min
cup jasmine rice
cups granulated sugar
teaspoon ground saffron
cup rose water
- Wash the rice in a bowl and drain the water. Repeat this step at least 5 times until the water runs clean. This will help you get rid of the excess starch.
- Sprinkle ground saffron over ice cubes and let it melt at room temperature.
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large saucepan and bring it to boil. Add the washed rice to the boiling water and let it simmer on medium-low until the rice falls apart. This takes about 45 minutes. While the rice is cooking, keep an eye on it and add more water if needed.
- Add in the sugar, bloomed saffron, and cardamom pods. Give it a nice stir, lower the heat, and let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Take out the cardamom pods, add rose water, and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat off, divide the saffron rice pudding among small bowls, and sprinkle some cinnamon on it. Let it come to room temperature and then refrigerate for an hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!