- Prep time 40 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 8 servings
I'm always looking for ways to 1) make easy weeknight meals, 2) make things my 2 year old will love and 3) keep things pretty low carb. This one ticks all of those boxes. The idea was to create some sort of simple, Mexican-flavored bake, that could be served with lots of fresh toppings. This one came out great! Bonus - you can definitely make this ahead of time and bake it when you're ready. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
yellow onion (diced)
cloves garlic (minced)
can diced green chilies
can black beans (drained)
can diced tomatoes
ground beef (90/10)
cumin, coriander, paprika, ancho powder, garlic powder
salt & pepper
toppings: shredded lettuce, pickled jalapeños, Greek yogurt/sour cream, salsa
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by browning the meat. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add ground beef with a generous amount of spices, salt and pepper. Saute for 6-7 minutes, until brown. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add more olive oil if necessary. Now add onions, garlic and green chilies, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Add riced cauliflower, a generous amount of spices, and salt. Let cook together for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the black beans and can of tomatoes, and some more spices, salt and pepper. Stir everything to combine. Let saute for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Transfer cauliflower and bean mixture to a baking dish, and spread evenly. Cover cauliflower mixture with ground beef, and again, spread evenly. Now top with the 2-3 cups of shredded cheese, just making sure everything is covered.
- Cover baking dish with foil, and pop into oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Serve with lots of shredded lettuce, salsa, pickled jalapeños and your favorite salsa. So great for a relatively easy weeknight meal (and pretty low on carbs!)