I'm always looking for ways to 1) make easy weeknight meals, 2) make things my 2 year old will love and 3) keep things pretty low carb. This one ticks all of those boxes. The idea was to create some sort of simple, Mexican-flavored bake, that could be served with lots of fresh toppings. This one came out great! Bonus - you can definitely make this ahead of time and bake it when you're ready. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
- Prep time 40 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 8 servings
yellow onion (diced)
cloves garlic (minced)
can diced green chilies
can black beans (drained)
can diced tomatoes
ground beef (90/10)
cumin, coriander, paprika, ancho powder, garlic powder
salt & pepper
toppings: shredded lettuce, pickled jalapeños, Greek yogurt/sour cream, salsa
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by browning the meat. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add ground beef with a generous amount of spices, salt and pepper. Saute for 6-7 minutes, until brown. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add more olive oil if necessary. Now add onions, garlic and green chilies, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Add riced cauliflower, a generous amount of spices, and salt. Let cook together for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the black beans and can of tomatoes, and some more spices, salt and pepper. Stir everything to combine. Let saute for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Transfer cauliflower and bean mixture to a baking dish, and spread evenly. Cover cauliflower mixture with ground beef, and again, spread evenly. Now top with the 2-3 cups of shredded cheese, just making sure everything is covered.
- Cover baking dish with foil, and pop into oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Serve with lots of shredded lettuce, salsa, pickled jalapeños and your favorite salsa. So great for a relatively easy weeknight meal (and pretty low on carbs!)