If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These baked eggs take a turn from the traditional with the addition of a layer of savory cheese grits in the bottom of the ramekin. When served, the runny egg yolk permeates the cheesy grits and, punctuated with the richness of the cream and the salty crunch of the bacon, makes a wonderful, satisfying breakfast—one that's greatly improved by a mimosa and a slice or two of toasted pumpkin bread on the side! - Kayb —Kayb
Food52 Review: Rise and shine to these delicious and comforting oeufs en cocotte. The soft egg mixed with the smoked gouda grits and rich cream make each bite dreamy. The bacon adds a nice crunch and saltiness. This recipe was easy to make and could be thrown together quickly on a holiday morning. – Jennifer —The Editors
cup regular or quick grits
cup grated cheese (I prefer smoked gouda)
tablespoons (1 stick) butter
cup heavy cream
- Dice bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Heat milk, water and salt in heavy saucepan over medium high heat until it boils. Stir in grits, lower heat to low, cover and cook per package directions (5-6 minutes for quick; 20 minutes for regular), stirring occasionally.
- Remove grits from heat and stir in grated cheese until it melts.
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 6 large ramekins, using about 1 tbsp. butter for each. Put a layer of grits about 1 inch thick in the bottom of each ramekin.
- Gently crack an egg on top of grits in each ramekin.
- Top each egg with a drizzle of cream (about 2 tablespoons per ramekin).
- Divide bacon among ramekins, gently sprinkling over the top.
- Put ramekins in a baking dish on the oven rack. Add enough boiling water to the dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot, with buttered and toasted pumpkin bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast